Friday 19 October 2012

Wakey! Wakey! Grubbs Interview





Michael Grubbs is best know for fronting an upcoming indie/folk group ‘Wakey! Wakey!’. For anyone that hasn't heard his music, you may recognize him from his acting debut in hit US TV show One Tree Hill in which he plays a barman under his own name.


What other musicians or people have influenced your music? I'm really grateful to have an amazing life right now. Between living in Brooklyn, NY, and traveling all over the world I get to have a ton of unusual experiences. I think all of it works it's way into my music somehow. My first album was really soaked in Brooklyn indie rock. Bands like Grizzly Bear, Beirut, and The Dirty Projectors. Now that I've traveled so much as a result of that album I think my next album will be even more expansive.

What’s been your best moment whilst on tour? Every time I play London is astounding. I love the people. There can't be one specific moment though. A night off in Amsterdam, a walk alone in Paris, surfing in Florida, a pick up game of basketball in Virginia with my band. I also love the time on stage. Playing in front of a large crowd is a lot like surfing. There's a flow to it, and a give and take. Especially when you talk as much as I do. It can be a real rush when it goes right.

Where did the name ‘Wakey! Wakey!’ come from? My first set of songs was very political, but they were all disguised as love songs. The idea was that you'd let them into your head and then one day it would all click and they'd make you consider life in a new way. The name was a hint to wake up. Now I'm tired of politics, and I write about life and love.

If you weren't a musician, what would you be doing and why? I might be an actor. I might be homeless. I definitely wouldn't be behind a desk somewhere. I just can't pull that off. I have a great respect for people that do, though. I went on a date last week with a girl who worked in an office and I was fascinated. I kept asking her, "Is there really a water cooler?", and "Do you have a copying machine?" We don't see these sorts of things much in rock and roll. Our offices are covered in records and guitars and things to make you
forget you're in an office.

What embarrassing songs might I find on your MP3 player? Depending on who you talk to, every song can either be really embarrassing or really cool. I'm of the mindset that all songs are cool. You can hear the sappiest love song and it can sound ridiculous if you're in a breakup, or stunning if you're just falling in love. The most unexpected artists would probably be people like Katy Perry and Lil Wayne. I love pop music, and I love hip hop. I also love me some Dolly Parton.

Who would you most like to collaborate with? I'd love to work with someone in hip hop. Maybe Lil Wayne. I met Ludicrous at a party last December. He was such a nice guy. Maybe we'll do something!

You’re in the middle of writing new material, how will it differ from the last album? I'm being really careful with this album. I already have 26 songs finished to choose from. I think when you see things you've written tattooed on enough people, it ups the anti a little.

What was the best gig you have attended? I walked in off the street last week to a Zach Williams concert at New York's Rockwood Music Hall. It blew my hair back. It was an extremely emotional day for me, and the music was just so powerful and perfect. I'd wager in 7 months they'll be the biggest band in the world. I have a feeling I'll tell my kids I was at that show. Zach is my friend, and I've known him for 5 or 6 years. That being said, I barely recognized the person on that stage. It was wonderful.

What other musicians have you met that you admire? At some point in a musician's career things just kind of tip over, and amazing things start to happen all the time. I've been fortunate to meet a ton of really great musicians. I went drinking with Kevin Drew of Broken Social Scene once really early on. Actually it was my first time in Paris and we stayed in the same hotel. I really respect him as a musician, and that whole experience just kind of blew my mind. He's a really, really cool guy.

What made you realise you wanted to become a musician? I never really considered much of anything else. The piano is all I've ever wanted to do. It's like a video game I'll never ever beat.

Would you ever do more acting if given the chance? As long as it didn't get in the way of the music. Acting is really fun, but I don't consider myself an actor. I like that actors let me come on set and be on camera with them, though!

If you could be in any other tv show what would it be? I'd love to be on a zombie show. I really love zombies. I have 4 books on my nightstand and 3 are about zombies. Maybe The Walking Dead?

Where’s your favourite place to travel to? Brooklyn. It's actually where I live, but I travel so much, coming home is a vacation.

What’s your favourite thing about New York? New York has an energy. Also it's so full of exciting people. I fall in love every time I ride the subway!

What are the five things you can’t live without? My piano, Chocolate, Steak, my favorite jeans, and my phone. That's really off the top of my head. It also takes for granted that my friends and family aren't going anywhere.

If you could have one super power what would it be and why? Time Travel. Or maybe I'd never age. I can already fly and I have super strength, but don't tell anyone. People always ask me to help them move.

When are you going into the studio to record the version of Blame You you play live? (It’s amazing!) You never know! I really love that song, though. Thanks for the compliment!

What does the future hold for Wakey! Wakey!? We're gonna pick the producer for this album, get it recorded, then get back on the road! I love touring. Hopefully we'll come see you!


An example of Grubbs' amazing vocal and piano talents



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.